File sharing over a network in Windows 10
- Right-click or press a file, select Give access to > Specific people.
- Select a file, select the Share tab at the top of File Explorer, and then in the Share with section select Specific people.
- Tap or click to open File Explorer.
- Select the item, and then tap or click the Share tab. The Share tab.
- Choose an option in the Share with group. There are different Share with options depending on whether your PC is connected to a network and what kind of network it is.
Share a folder, drive, or printer
- Right-click the folder or drive you want to share.
- Click Properties. …
- Click Share this folder.
- In the appropriate fields, type the name of the share (as it appears to other computers), the maximum number of simultaneous users, and any comments that should appear beside it.
Turn Password Protection Off and On
You can try disabling this feature and see if the sharing works. To turn it off, go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings (from the left pane). Then, under All Networks, check the box next to Turn off password protected sharing.
Should I turn on network discovery and file sharing?
Network discovery is a setting that affects whether your computer can see (find) other computers and devices on the network and whether other computers on the network can see your computer. … That’s why we recommend using the network sharing setting instead.
Right click on the Computer icon on the desktop. From the drop down list, choose Map Network Drive. Pick a drive letter that you want to use to access the shared folder and then type in the UNC path to the folder. UNC path is just a special format for pointing to a folder on another computer.
Do the following to access shared files and directories through a wireless network:
- Ensure network discovery and file sharing is turned On.
- Click Start , click Control Panel, click Network and Internet, and then click Network and Sharing Center.
- Double-click Network. …
- Double-click the computer you want to access.
You should use VPN to access the network your server is placed, then you would be able to access the shared folder. Other ways to do this is with WebDAV, FTP etc.
- Connect both computers to the same WiFi router.
- Enable File and Printer Sharing on both computers. If you right click on a file or folder from either computer and choose to Share it, you will be prompted to turn on File and Printer Sharing. …
- View the Available Network computers from either computer.
To share a folder in Windows 7 and Windows Vista, follow these steps:
- Right-click the folder you want to share. …
- Choose Properties from the shortcut menu. …
- Click the Sharing tab in the folder’s Properties dialog box.
- Click the Advanced Sharing button.
- In the search box in the Windows taskbar, enter two backslashes followed by the IP address of the computer with the shares you want to access (for example \192.168. …
- Press Enter. …
- If you want to configure a folder as a network drive, right-click it and select “Map network drive…” from the context menu.
Why network sharing is not working?
You can try to disable the password protection feature to fix the Windows 10 network sharing not working problem. Go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings. Scroll down to find the “Password protected sharing” option, and click Turn off password protected sharing.
How do I transfer files over a network?
5 Easy Ways to Transfer Files Between Computers on the Same Network
- Nearby Sharing: Sharing Files in Windows 10.
- Transfer Files by Email.
- Transfer Files Via the Cloud.
- Use LAN File Sharing Software.
- Use FTP Client/Server Software.